toddler lunch tarts
1.5 cups dried macaroni (or similar medium sized pasta)
1/2 large onion, finely diced
50g bacon, finely diced
1 cup grated zucchini
200g corn kernels (canned or frozen is fine)
1 cup grated tasty cheese
drizzle of olive oil
- preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- cook pasta according to packet instructions, drain, and set aside.
- place olive oil in a frying pan, and then add onion and bacon. fry until they just begin to brown, then remove from heat and set aside with pasta.
- crack eggs into a large mixing bowl, and whisk lightly.
- add half of your grated cheese to the eggs, then add all other ingredients (including cooked pasta, onion and bacon), and stir until thoroughly combined.
- cut twelve* roughly 15cm squares of baking paper, and press them into the cups of a muffin tin. they'll fold and crinkle a bit around the edges, but don't worry, they're meant to. as you press each one in, add a spoon of the mixture in to hold it in place.
- top up each tart with remaining mixture.
- sprinkle a bit of your remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese on top of each tart.
- bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese has browned and you're confident the egg has cooked through.
* this recipe makes about 12 tarts, but this will vary depending on the depth of your muffin tin. ours are comparatively shallow, so we got more like 16.
arty and i can both vouch for the deliciousness of these tarts. we've had two each so far today. they're nice warm or cold, so would make great lunchbox or picnic snacks for older kids and grown ups too.