home made muesli bars
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup raw sugar
2 cups oats (i used quick oats so they would hold together better)
1 cup rice bubbles
3/4 cup sultanas
1/4 cup dates, finely chopped
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup flaked almonds
1/2 cup coconut
- preheat oven to 108 degrees celsius
- line a 20 x 30 x 3cm baking tray with baking paper (do not be tempted to omit this step - your bars will get very, very stuck without the paper!)
- melt butter, honey and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until sugar dissolves
- bring to boil and allow to simmer for a few minutes until mixture begins to thicken a tiny bit (we're not looking for toffee or caramel, just a slight thickening)
simmering honey, butter & sugar
- meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in a large bowl
- pour the butter and honey mixture over the dry ingredients, and stir thoroughly to combine
- carefully press this mixture into your lined baking tin
- bake for 15-20 minutes, then remove from oven and allow to cool, before refrigerating for an hour or two
golden on top - smells delicious!
- cut into bars of your desired size (i did two sizes - smaller for arty, bigger for sj)
- store in an airtight container.
i just put arty's in tupperware for easy access, but because sj's have to travel to school with her, i wrapped them individually in baking paper, and tied them with baker's twine. cos i'm cutesy like that.
wrapped for the lunch box
i must say i'm very pleased with how these turned out. they don't fall apart too easily, but they're not rock-hard either. sj thinks they're delicious, and when i gave one to arty he did a little happy dance, so i think he approves as well.
give them a try, and let us know what you think!