obviously it's not a risotto (no rice!), but it's got that risotto-esque consistency, so that's what i'm calling it. i'm a maverick, what can i say!?
1 cup quinoa
2 cups stock
1/2 a medium butternut pumpkin, diced
1/2 cup peas (frozen is fine)
2 field mushrooms (or equivalent quantity of another variety), sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup parmesan or tasty cheese (or a mixture)
- place quinoa and stock in a small saucepan, and bring to boil
- lower heat, and cook, covered for approx 10-15 mins, until liquid has been absorbed by grains. leave to stand, covered, for a further 10 mins with the heat off
- meanwhile, place mushrooms, onion, garlic, and butter on frying pan, and fry over medium heat until mushrooms are thoroughly cooked.
- steam pumpkin until almost tender, add peas, and cook together until both are cooked.
- combine quinoa, mushrooms, and vegetables in one bowl, add cheese, and stir until it melts.